Your blood pressure numbers are important, and you should pay attention to them. If your systolic blood pressure (the top number) is above 120 or your diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) is above 80, it is time to start talking with your doctor about what you can do to lower it. Port Saint Lucie hypertension stage 1 high blood pressure can put you at risk for stage 2 high blood pressure and a host of other serious health problems.
Your doctor will likely check your blood pressure at your next regular appointment. They may ask you to come back for another reading if it is high. They may also recommend making lifestyle changes, such as exercising more, eating healthier, and quitting smoking. If these changes do not help, your doctor may prescribe medication.
There are various causes of high blood pressure:
- Obesity or overweight: You can lower your blood pressure by losing as little as 10 pounds.
- Inactivity: A sedentary lifestyle contributes to high blood pressure.
- Too much salt in your diet: Eating a lot of salty foods can cause your body to retain water, which raises blood pressure.
- Stress: Long-term stress can lead to high blood pressure.
- Smoking: Nicotine constricts blood vessels, which raises blood pressure.
- Drinking too much alcohol: Alcohol can cause your blood vessels to expand and increase blood pressure.
- Family history: If your parents or other close relatives have high blood pressure, you are more likely to develop it.
- Age: As you age, your blood vessels become less elastic, and your heart pumps less efficiently, both of which can lead to high blood pressure.
- Chronic conditions include diabetes, kidney disease, and adrenal gland disorders, which can cause high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure is a serious condition that should not be ignored. Proper treatment can lower your blood pressure and reduce your risk of other health problems.
Now that you know what high blood pressure is and its causes, the big question is when should you see a doctor?
Your pressure is higher than normal
These numbers are general guidelines but may vary depending on age and other factors. If your blood pressure is consistently above 120/80, it is time to see a doctor. The effect of such numbers on your health depends on various factors. If you have other risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes or high cholesterol, your blood pressure puts you at even greater risk.
You have symptoms of high blood pressure
If you experience any of the following symptoms, it is time to see a doctor:
- Severe headaches
- Shortness of breath
These symptoms may indicate that your blood pressure is dangerously high and you are at risk for a stroke or heart attack. If you experience any of these symptoms, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Having a family history of high blood pressure
If your parents or other close relatives have high blood pressure, you may also be at risk. This is especially true if you are overweight or have other risk factors for heart disease. See a doctor so they can check your blood pressure and help you take steps to lower it, if necessary.
Call TLC Medical Group Inc to schedule an appointment with your doctor if you think you may have high blood pressure.