Get crispy, succulent seared chicken without profound broiling and wow your friends and family with this solid twist on an American work of art. Ideal for Sunday suppers, potlucks, picnics, and any occasion where down-home cooking plays pleasantly. This fired chicken is whipped up in a shower of buttermilk which keeps the chicken juicy and is then dipped in a coating of flour, crushed cornflakes, and just the right amount of spices which will fill your home with the aroma of Southern fried chicken, which is certain to draw your loved ones around the table for traditional and special family suppers (your teens will even put their cell phones down for this one.
- Chicken pieces 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs & 2 wings 8 units
- All-purpose flour 1/2 cup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper To taste
- Cornflakes 4 cups
- Buttermilk 2/3 cups
- Dijon mustard 2 tbsps
- Cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp
- Paprika 1 1/2 tsp
- Ground sage 3/4 tsps
- Begin by preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a rack either on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan.
- Prepare the chicken by rinsing in cold water and patting dry with paper towels. In a wide, piece through the flour mixture so they are fully coated. Tap the chicken pieces against the bowl to shake off excess flour and set aside. Throw away remaining flour mixture.
- Next, crush the cornflakes by placing them in a gallon-size sealable Ziploc bag and press the bag gently to press out any air. Using a rolling pin, roll over the sealed bag to crush corn flakes, and then pour the crushed flakes into a wide, shallow bowl or onto a plate.
- In a separate large-sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, and sage. Place each floured chicken piece in the bowl of the buttermilk and then roll in the crushed cornflakes.
- Place the chicken on the rack and place in preheated oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 375°F and continue cooking for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, juices run clear, and the coating is crispy. Remove from oven and serve.